Location: Science Theatre 140, University of Calgary, 527 -
Campus Place NW, Calgary, AB T2N 5A6
Date: Saturday, May 14, 2016 | 3:00 pm – 9:15 pm
SCOPE OF THE CONFERENCE
Think for Actions and Muslims of Calgary (MCC), along with 41 partner organizations collaborated with polling firm “Insights Matter” for the purpose of understanding the general sentiment of Calgary’s Muslims.
The conference comprised of 5 sessions:
Session 1 Canadian Muslim Contributions and Challenges
Session 2 Reality of Radicalization & Addressing Islamophobia in the Media
Session 3 Marginalization and its Relationship with Radicalization
Session 4 NCCM the Voice of Canadian Muslims
Session 5 How Sitcoms are Bridging the Cultural Divide
This conference was a great opportunity for Calgarians to meet and interact with their Muslim neighbors to get an understanding of who they really are.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE CONFERENCE
Short Term Goals
- To understand the causes and effects of islamophobia on communities
- Showcase challenges faced by youth and parents as a result of Islamophobia
- To establish relationships with various levels of government for future programs
- To serve as a forum that enables an exchange of ideas, expertise, research, and experience
- To transform research into practical steps to normalize the status of the Muslim community
Long Term Goals
- To create a network and platform for researchers, scholars, and intellectuals
- To inspire youth to write and engage in research
- To become an international voice for Muslims Researchers in North America
- To bring about change by prevention, education, and intervention
OUTCOMES OF THE CONFERENCE
- For Community Leaders and Imams to obtain a broader understanding of current issues faced by the Muslims community at large
- For Government Representatives to understand issues faced by Muslims in their communities and potential solutions.
- For partner organizations to bring forward recommendations / actions and create a plan based on research results to improve the status quo of the Muslim Community and particularly Muslim youth.
- Enhancing communication and collaboration between various organizations to strengthen ties, further social
causes and raise awareness